Chestnut Hill Farmstand Manager
Lunaria Gardens is seeking a spring 2016 Farmstead Manager to work Saturdays at the Chestnut Hill Farmers Market in Northwest Philadelphia.
Job type: Part-time seasonal. Saturday morning availability is required, approximately 7:30a-3p. Possible option to assist in nursery or other markets as well.
Season term: We are asking for a commitment of Saturday mornings, March 19 through June 18, 2016. Lunaria Gardens may continue market participation beyond this point, but this will be discussed at later date.
Compensation: $10-16/ hr ($7.25/ hr with sales commission)
Position posted: October 28, 2015
Application deadline: November 13, 2015
Contact: Kristen Jas Vietty, firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls)
Lunaria Gardens will be participating in Farm to City’s Chestnut Hill Farmers Market in Spring 2016. We will be offering potted plants, floral bouquets, and a limited amount of seasonal decor, produce, and value-added products. The director will train and assist, but the Farmstand Manager is in charge of ensuring everything runs smoothly each Saturday.
– Loading vehicle at nursery in Roxborough/ Manayunk on Saturday morning (or Friday evening if preferred).
– Unloading vehicle and creating display at Chestnut Hill Farmers Market: setting up tent, tables, merchandise display, signage.
– Photographing display for Instagram/ Facebook promotion.
– Assisting customers with selecting merchandise, taking special order requests. Cultivating relationships and repeat customers, but not allowing conversations to interfere with duties.
– Handling cash and credit card sales, recording sales data, and maintaining optimal visual display throughout market hours.
– Breaking down display and loading vehicle.
– Unloading vehicle back at nursery, reporting any issues or trends to director.
– Must be excellent with customer service and sales, and possess an outgoing, personable, and positive nature.
– Must have familiarity with plants and their general growing requirements. Applicant must have some gardening/ farming/ ecological know-how, like cool-season vs tender vegetables, plant families, sun-shade requirements, etc. You will be helping people select plants, so you need to have some base knowledge, as well as an interest in improving it through ongoing training and self-study.
– Must be punctual, communicative, organized, and comfortable jumping in and figuring things out.
– Must be able to comfortably lift 50 pounds and withstand standing and sitting outside (under tent) in all weather conditions.
– Must commit to work Saturday mornings from mid-March through mid-June.
– Must possess valid drivers license.
– Ideal applicant would have vehicle to assist with transport of tent, tables, plants from nursery to market. However, applicants without a vehicle will still be considered.
– Ideal applicant will live in Northwest Philadelphia, and have some connection to the Chestnut Hill or Roxborough community.
– Familiarity with botanical nomenclature, gardening, landscaping, agriculture, permaculture, or ecology.
– Interest in assisting with occasional nursery operations (seeding, transplanting, watering, weeding, harvesting) during peak season.
– Interest or experience in floriculture is a plus, and could elicit additional Friday hours.
– Experience in visual display and merchandising is a plus, as well as any experience doing other markets or pop-up events.
– Do you have experience with social media/ email marketing, web design, construction, proposal writing, or other cool skills? Let us know.
About Lunaria Gardens:
Lunaria Gardens specializes in edibles, natives, and perennials for the landscape, and houseplants, floral arrangements, and seasonal decor for the home. Our focus is on habitat creation, food production, and sustainable beauty. In addition to providing unique plants, Lunaria Gardens also provides permaculture design, installation, and maintenance services. Launching Spring 2016 is a Philadelphia floral subscription service. Owner-operator Kristen Jas Vietty has a background in visual arts, administration, music, and permaculture design at residential, farm, and municipal scale.
To be considered, send email to Kristen Jas Vietty email@example.com (no phone calls) by November 13, 2015.
Email subject format: “Chestnut Hill Farmstand Manager: (Your full name)”
Please either attach a resume in PDF or Word format, or include link to an online resume.
No formal letter of interest required. Instead, either in the email body or in an attached document, answer the following questions in list or paragraph form:
1. Can you commit to working every Saturday, March 19 – June 18? Sometimes last-minute situations arise, but please specify if you already have trips or weddings booked on certain dates.
2. Do you have a valid drivers license? Do you have a vehicle with ability to assist with transport of tent, tables, and merchandise?
3. Do you have interest or experience with floral design, as well as Friday availability?
4. What are you hoping to learn or gain from this position?
5. What can you bring to this position? If not listed in resume, please list any skills.
6. If not included in your resume, please list links to social media profiles, websites, links to cool projects with which you’re involved.
Please do not call to follow up on applications. We will contact selected applicants by Thanksgiving to schedule interviews. Thanks much for your interest and time.
Lunaria Gardens is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
Kristen Jas Vietty